VISIT

Plan an in-person visit

SUPPORT

The Center needs you

SHOP

Browse our online store

Search results:

Add to Exhibit
Remove
Love this Object

Cody Firearms Museum

Makers
Frank Wesson, Worcester, MA, U.S.A. 6
Descriptions
steel 2355 wood 4438
Names
firearm 4093
Use
rifle 1140
Date:
1863-1876
Dimensions:
L: 39 in, Barrel length: 24.25 in, H: 7.5 in
Credit Line:
Gift of Olin Corporation, Winchester Arms Collection
Gloss:
This gun was called "Gallery and Small Game Rifle No. 2" by the Massachusetts Arms Co. Although it was manufactured by the Mass. Arms Co., it is known by the name of the patentee and is called a Maynard rifle. The rifle was used in the Winchester Ballistics Laboratory to test ammunition. The total number made is unknown but production was large.
Inscription:
top of barrel: W.R.A. Co./FRANK WESSON WORCERTER, MASS./ PAT'D OCT. 25, 1859 & NOV. 11, 1862 [on left side of hammer:] PAT. APR. 9, 1872 [on rear tang of trigger guard:] 5322 [on top of rear barrel:] 44 EX L. R. & C.F.
Remarks:
cardboard tag - 5322 According to the old ARGUS record W.3161, this rifle is the Type three not Type two. The following is from the Gloss on the old record: This Frank Wesson two-trigger rifle has a hammer which, when placed in the half-cock position, draws the forward trigger to the rear, permitting the breech to open. A manually operated extractor is on the right side of the barrel. The hammer has an adjustable firing pin to accommodate either rim or centerfire cartridges. About 7,500 of this type of rifle were made. There were five types or variations of the Frank Wesson rifle; total production was approximately 37,000. This example is the third variation - hmk 11/11/2004.
Model:
Frank Wesson Sporting Rifle Type II
Caliber/Gauge:
.44 EX L.R. & C.F.
Serial Number:
5322
Accession Number:
1988.8.1394

Not currently on display


Know something we don't? Have an interesting question? Leave it here in our new & improved Comment Section and we will get back to you.

Questions and Comments

Loading comments...